Friday, March 30, 2012

Marc 30, Progymn...

I love old things. They make me feel sad. It's right in downtown by the screaming trains on the tracks. It's surrounded by a parking lot now. A big one. It's so old now. A little 3-story box. But it's got a good bit of new now. They've built the lobby as a proverbial Talley Student Center addition around that old box. You go inside. The smell of curing tobacco lingers no longer. The new and old is juxtaposed. Sheetrock and on one side, old brick and mortar on the other. The water pipes and electric lines are bare because they were put in late. I go up the elevator. I get off. Beautiful brown, wood columns greet me. The rafters are the same wood, beautiful, overseeing the office. I walk to my desk. The windows are old and new too. Square, surrounded by small squares. That window is old and stained. This one was cut out in the renovation, new and clear. This place has what you call, "character." The heat only goes off for about 30 seconds. The walls must be too thin to keep the outside, well, out. It's just new, old, new. New hardwood floors. New mac computers as the staff makes a newspaper. You feel the passage of time. I love old things.

The End
________
Disclaimer: "I love old things. They make me feel sad." was not my phrase. I stole it from Doctor Who.

No comments: